Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cornbread with rice flour

*
*
*


I just popped this recipe in the oven.

1-1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup corn meal
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites or 1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 8 or 9 inch square pan. Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil, and egg, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

I've forgotten to the xanthan gum a couple of times, it's more crumbly without but still good.

For the flour I use 1 cup goya rice flour and 1/4 cup corn starch if I want a coarser texture. If I want it fluffier, more like the corn muffin box mixes, I use 3/4 cup rice flour and 1/2 cup corn starch.


If I'm making it for a savory dish, like stuffing or with gravy, I use half as much sugar.

It seems to take a few minutes longer to bake when it's gluten free. I give it 25 minutes, then check to see if it's turning brown. My oven doesn't bake evenly, though, and that might be why it takes longer.

I usually add a handful or two of frozen corn to the mixture before baking. I've also added a couple of tablespoons of salsa.

This recipe is pretty goof proof. I make it a lot, and it always seems to come out great!
from some celiac forum




-________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers